Monday, August 20, 2007

Using LinkedIn: Why answer questions, and should every question have a "Best Answer"?

Asked by Dan Ogden

Dan,

A Good question! This is my perspective on your query. To answer the first part of the question, as to "Why answer questions", I look at it as sharing my perspective to a query, which I feel I can address. There are many which I would have liked to address and may not have an answer, which to me is a take away for more reading and learning about it. It enriches my knowledge to learn from others perspectives too. So I do not answer a question thinking will my answer be chosen as a Good answer or a Best Answer. My motivation of answering comes from the fact that I am able to address a query. To address the second part, "Should every question have a Best Answer",- why not? It is good to know how best your answer has helped the questioner to either get an answer which he/she is looking forward for, or trying to deliberate and understand views. I must say that many of the questions I have asked till date, I have wonderful answers from all respondents and it is a tough task to even choose or vote Best answers. Sometimes, the respondent may be in total disagreement with what you may have asked, but it is really good to see another perspective, that one may have not even thought about. But personally I do not view it as a caveat for gauging just the knowledge of a person, since I believe it is not easy to respond many times and I respect each person's ideas, thoughts, suggestions, views and experiences. The choice to me is from how best the respondent has been able to address the points to a given query with clarity and rationale. In all, I really enjoy asking queries and answering since I view this as an enrichment to my brain and knowledge. Topics and deliberations done well just enables one to see various perceptions, which in turn helps one to decide very clearly on critical occasions.
Regards,
Sujatha

No comments: