Monday, August 13, 2007

Music & Work together - What is your experience?

"Many of us love music. It is relaxing and soothing to our nerves. I have seen people working while listening to music, studying while listening to music et al. Does it add value to what you are mainly focusing or does it lessen your core focus of activity? What have your experiences been? Curious to know."
**************************************************************************************
Responses I received:
Message from Tom Field
Sujatha: I constantly have my iTunes playing in the background as I work. Mostly, it is just background noise, and I don't pay much attention to it. Couldn't tell you which songs have played. But every now and again I connect with a particular song -- even if just for a moment -- and it's familiar, and soothing, and reminds me of things I enjoy. Those moments add immeasurable value to the work experience. And who knows what subconscious value I'm getting while the music plays? best, Tom

Messages from Mukund Toro:
I would agree with Alison. It depends upon the type of music. If it is pure instrumental music, it aids my concentration. (More specifically Hindustani classical music on flute or 'sarod'). If it is vocal, it does not help so much. At times it distracts. If it is a movie music track, it distracts more. I tend to remember or imagine the scenes from the movie!

Messages from Mykel de Willigen
Depends on the kind of work I have to do: For routines I love music, somehow it makes me work harder. Probably cause it keeps my mind of the work, which enables my subconscious to do all the effort much more efficiently. For heavy analyses and other demanding "thinking tasks", I'd rather have no music or very faint in the background

Messages from David Marcotte
Interesting is that no one suggests music in the office. Perhaps it is now reserved only for the dentist. I do have playlists of music to drive my work by that is a combination of instrumental bluegrass, modern classical, pre-classical period stuff. Find that there is always that one track that gets your head up and somewhere else but that's now a bad thing either. That said, if it is creative writing I prefer silence. Jazz, rock, fusion, classical, and World-stuff all are good for exercise and travel but don't do a thing for concentration.

Messages from sydney ifergan
let's say that music can help if you have a bunch of work ... but sometimes music can make you think instead of work ....

Messages from Piyush Patodia:
I think music only cuts out the background distractions and helps concentrate on your core activity that you are doing - working, studying etc. However, the music should be non-invasive and filled with good notes and lesser voice. My experience has been over the last 20 years and I've only excelled in things I've done while listening to music. Don't believe me, Sachin Tendulkar has been quoted as listening to Dire Straits while in net practice!!!!

Messages from Mark Podulka:
I listen to music any chance I get, however, I must say that I always listen to music at work and I look forward to the time that I do. I believe it helps me focus and gives me a little extra boost at work.

Messages from Regina Yau:
I confess to putting on my largest headset and just switching on the music to drown on the distractions and it's a huge 'do not disturb' sign. My co-workers and team know to NOT disturb me because I'm literally carving out the space in a very busy day to get a lot of written work done. I generally put on an easy-listening mix and don't even really pay attention to it although I noticed that it helps put me in a zen mood and so work goes better, panic attacks about deadlines are lessened and so on and so forth. It helps with delivering top-notch work, really.

Messages from Robert Fornal:
I believe that this is becoming more frequent ... people at work connecting headphones to an iPod or laptop computer ... I had a bad experience at my last job where I managed to irritate a coworker. I was not allowed to contact her via IM (her rule) and constantly got her irritated because I could not just walk in to ask her a question as it scared her (the music was so loud). Eventually, I left the job ...

Messages from Jay Hamilton-Roth:
I think of music at work like music during exercising. It can help to set a background mood/tempo. But it can also distract from the work/exercise focus. Sometimes I need one more than the other.

Messages from Terrence Seamon:
As a student, I used to study with a radio next to me, turned up loud in order to drown out distractions. At the office, this is not possible. But when I work from home, it's nice to have music around me.

Messages from Daniel W. Elwell
Personnally, I need to have background music in order to concentrate. I prefer classical, soft jazz, or celtic. I find that when I am working when things are quiet, I get distracted by other people's conversations, other extreous noises like the copier, cell phones, etc. Music tends to mask the impact of these distractions. -Dan

Messages from Tarek Foda:
Shjatha, For me that is the vital tool that disconnects me from the surrounding world when I need to focus on what I am doing. I came to the understanding that I function differently with different music in the background; besides it also sets my mood through the day. The other thing that I have noticed; in the present time my taste of music has changed allot, I think one of the reasons for that is what I do now, is so different than when I was a teenager. I hope this helps

Messages from John Elder:
It depends on the music and how tired I am, as well as the work I'm doing. When I'm finishing my charting for the week, you'll hear me blasting music, UNLESS it's a complex note that requires a lot of recall and thought. Then, soft music helps, or even silence. I find certain types of music help me a lot - I can listen to Wagner and let my spirits sore while focusing pretty intensely. The same applies to listening to Soviet Military Chorales. The Internationale and Polyushka are two of my favorites. (although the the Soviet attempt to implement Marxist-Leninist ideology didn't seem to work very well) When I have patients in my office, I often run a recording of a forest stream. It enhances the little desktop waterfall fountain I have. And some nights I really crank the volume on Ozo Matli while I do trained monkey work. That adds value by minimizing boredom and resentment ("I didn't earn a graduate degree to stamp dates on a stack of forms!!!")

Messages from Kim Luty:
Absolutely....whenever I can, I listen to music in the background, and yes, it's rock music, because it puts me in my happy place. Sometimes if my mood changes I'll throw on something else, but generally, it works. I have XM Radio in my car and I can listen online at the office (it's free with the service). The volume controller is always handy so I can hit mute if needed.

Messages from Sheilah Etheridge:
I am absolutely lost without music while I am working. When I go into a clients office and it is too quiet it drives me batty. Of course, the same is true if I go to their office and the wrong kind of music is playing. LOL Music motivates me and I can accomplsih so much more when it is playing. Sheilah

Messages from Sicko van Dijk:
To my experience, music helps me getting work done that it is relatively repetitive and intellecually less demanding, such as writing code or elaborating on a report. It helps to establish the flow needed to keep burning the midnight oil just a little bit longer. I love to grind on ambient (eno), jazzy (hassel) or gothic music (DCD) and have a lengthy playlist on shuffle and repeat. When total concentration is needed, silence is my favourite soundtrack.


Messages from Timothy Fearnside:
Sujatha, I recall a roommate of mine in college (who is now a surgeon) that used to study for hours in front of a blaring television. Personally, I'm way too distractible; thus, I fall into the same category as many others who have already responded, i.e., if I need to concentrate, my music needs to be mellow, and preferably, instrumental. Of course, if I'm doing something that requires less concentration, or which is tedious in nature, I find that music which is somewhat louder and more upbeat can lift my energy level and actually improve concentration. So, it depends on the situation. I do listen to a lot, though, especially jazz.

Messages from Kalyan Bandyopadhyay:
I find a very strong co-relation between Jazz & creativity (to me different Jazz notes seem slightly out of rhythm and this reminds of different perspectives necessary for creativity) and parallels between the whole idea of improvisation in music and decision making process in an organization.

Messages from Shweta Kapoor:Hi Sujata, For me, I listen to music when I need to make dull or boring or lengthy work interesting. Music helps in starting teh work and after that I dont even realize that music is around. Regards, Shweta


Messages from Abhijit Amdekar:
My work is on my entire own, for hours in front of the PC, growing immune to anything going around, for hours. Old hindi film music is wat I love. It has done wonders to my efficiency, and cant be without it.

Messages from Steve Guine:
Hi Sujatha, I love music. Unfortunately, not all of the people within a group listens to the same music, which makes the choice of music difficult. As a default setting, I prefer to choose either classical (I love the piano concertos), Chamber music, or straight ahead Jazz. Most people will isten to any of the three. To be democratic (and to make things fun and interesting), I would suggest that each team memnber bring a few selections to work for all to enjoy. I would set ground rules in order to maintain a professional (but pleasant) atmosphere. They are: The music must be devoid of harsh language, and cannot be plaid above a certain volume. Best, Steve Guine

Messages from Sergio Coelho:
If you work at an open space and you want to focus on your work music can help if it isn't too loud! That works for me! I'm listening to music right now and I usually go for something like Moby or Air when I am at the computer because it relaxes and at the same time motivates me!
Messages from Tomas Hoffmann:
To me music is the perfect combination with any other activity. I have to admit that it may not help me reach the top of my potential, for example while studding. Anyway, I am willing to take the risk!!!

Messages from Nishith Trivedi:
For me it depends on the kind of work I am involved in. If it some report I am working on then the music would get distractive. However if it is late afternoon or evening and i just need to go through certain notes or reference material then music is quite soothing. It changes the mood and one does not get a feeling that work is dreary. It becomes quite enjoyable. Type of music depends I guess purely on each individual but I have found the instrumental versions of Times Music, generally used during meditation, to be quite relaxing. Regards, Nishith

Messages from Dr. Shaun Jamison:
Music adds variety to my workday. I can only listen to instrumental when I am doing complicated thinking tasks, but music with lyrics is fine when I am doing routine tasks. I also find silence helps. Shaun


Messages from Bryan Entzminger :
I tend to use music as a combination of "white noise" and an emotional lift in my day. As with any media it can take my attention off of what should be the focus of my concentration; and when it does, I turn off the music. However, the office of the company I work for used to be "pod" based and somewhat loud, so the white noise was very needed. Now we have transitioned to a very "open" office - newsroom style. In that transition, I've discovered that many of the people like to have casual meetings at their desks. When those begin, I very much need music to be able to focus. I would prefer that I be able to preserve music as the art that it is but I find that I need it as the white noise that the company pumps in is simply not sufficient to allow concentration.

************************************************************************************<
My Comments:
Music is very soothing, especially light, instrumental or melodious. It helps in concentration and also relaxing our minds. Music is something we can always look forward to with any emotions. Be it happy or sad, celebrations, parties, travelling, relaxing, meditating and so on... Preferences are different for people but music is something mostly loved by all.

No comments: