Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Thinking through Head (Brain) and Thinking through Heart. How do you think?

Asked by Sanjeev Himachali
Sanjeev,

This is a very interesting query. I guess all of us, do this sometime or the other, be it in personal or professional life. To address the specific points that you have highlighted:

How do you think?
I think in both ways depending on the scenario. May be, the quality background that I have, it has helped in self training myself to think objectively.

How much do you use, your heart and head in decision making process?
I use both, but in a balanced manner. While listening to someone or in trying to understand something, it is always good to first use your heart to be able to empathize. But having said that, one needs to then detach oneself from the scenario and think more objectively (using head) to analyze the situation and be able to take the right decision with complete rationale behind it. This is not very easy and I must admit I had tough times in trying to put this into practice few years back. But with patience and practice, one can do it. It enables to think clearly while taking decisions as well as we can also be satisfied that we were able to give a complete concentration in understanding through empathetic manner before trying rationality.

What helps you in taking right and honest decisions? Kindly share few examples.
I guess, I try to take time in decision making to ensure it is fair and just. I have had instances wherein one of my team member had multiple personal problems recurring one after the other and at the same point of time, she had critical deliverable and could not have afforded to keep away since her involvement was very deep and crucial. Although I gave a very patient listening and empathized with her problems every time, i did think of the customer and the importance of delivering on time and without compromising on quality. This made me look at every possible alternatives as well as the various risks that may be attached to it. After consolidating my points, I was able to discuss the impacts with my team member, work out the possibilities wherein, she could get a leverage on flexibility of working and the relevant requirements, at the same time, evolve an approach to ensure that we could deliver as per plans, without delay. It took time, no doubt, but helped a lot indeed.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Sujatha

No comments: